Standard's history began in 1891, when it was founded by James Greenhalgh in Huddersfield.[Due to expansion, in 1910 the firm moved to its current site in Crosland Hill where, during the First and Second World Wars, the company produced munitions for the war effort.
In 1988 Standard bought Brocks Fireworks Ltd. This led to all firework activity being transferred to the Huddersfield site making Standard one of the largest employers in the Yorkshire region, with over 500 workers.
They were purchased by China-based Black Cat Fireworks, bringing an end to production in the UK. The Standard brand is now one of several trading names of Black Cat in the UK, with the former Standard offices now the UK headquarters for this operation.